Adding fruit

Have a question? Discover a new technique? Want to share information on your recent brew day? Share it here!
thefabulous0ne

Adding fruit

Postby thefabulous0ne » Sun Apr 26, 2015 10:23 am

Hi! I'm planning a brew with fruit puree. I have a few questions:
1. How does one factor that into a recipe sugar-wise?
2. Is there a sugar guide that shows how much you're adding w/a puree?
3. When is the best time to add a puree to a brew?
4. Or is it best to stagger the puree addition?

Sean
Site Admin

Re: Adding fruit

Postby Sean » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:54 am

Hey Christine! I added and approved your account for the members only section of the forums. So you'll see a lot more accessible forum boards for you to take a look at!

Regarding your questions and concerns.

1) Factoring fruit sugars recipe wise gets complicated. If you're introducing fresh/puree fruit into warm beer, then expect fermentation and increase alcohol levels. If it's on the cold side, like in a keg for instance, you don't have to worry about it as much. Since you bottle, definitely expect those fruit sugars to be fermented. The amount varies depending on the fruit, and many will use programs like BeerSmith to calculate increased ABV and FG. Beersmith is a great program that I would recommend purchasing for recipe development, and it serves as a great resource in many other ways, too.

2) I use BeerSmith, as I mentioned earlier. All I simply do it add it to my recipe and it does all the calculations for me.

3) If you're looking for a lot of fruit flavor, secondary fermentation.

4) I would add the puree all together.

thefabulous0ne

Re: Adding fruit

Postby thefabulous0ne » Mon May 04, 2015 2:20 pm

Sweeeeeet. Unfortunately I was scheduled for another business trip, but plan on brewing right after. Like, almost immediately after. EXCITED! It's been way too long since I've made beer!

BeerSmith looks awesome. Who knew there was beer making software?

So a secondary fermentation. In the fermenter about the same time I did a dry hop for my first beer (IPA)?

My goal is to make something very rich and boozey, so the extra sugar fermentation is exactly what I want. A dessert beer, if you will.

Return to “Homebrew Chat”